Saturday, July 11, 2009

Is this legal?

I had a %26quot;lawyer%26quot; call me this morning about an old credit card debt from around 6 or 7 years ago. He said he was a lawyer. I can%26#039;t find his company online. I live in Georgia. The statutes of limitations is 4 yrs on credit card debt. He told me there was a civil summons in my former county. I called the courthouse and there is nothing. I hung up on him when he said he needed a statement. As far as I%26#039;ve experienced, lawyers don%26#039;t call you before court and aren%26#039;t supposed to harass you. After I hung up, he called my mom, whom I haven%26#039;t lived with in 6 years. He said I hung up on an officer and said I had already missed one court date and he was getting ready to repossess my vehicle which I own and did not have back then. If you miss a court date then the judge is supposed to make a default judgement, not another summons. I don%26#039;t know what%26#039;s going on but I believe this is a threatening debt collector full of lies. Please help!



Is this legal?

The Statute has expired and if you weren%26#039;t served notice of a lawsuit, they guy%26#039;s a nut case or a fraud.



If you have his phone number (maybe it%26#039;s on your phone call log), call you local police and report him. Don%26#039;t give this guy any information whatsoever. He is making illegal representations of himself as a lawyer and %26quot;officer%26quot; which may be construed as a Police Officer. Also report his actions to the credit card company%26#039;s Fraud Division if you know which credit card company was involved in the old debt. They can help, and may want to prosecute the guy.



Is this legal?

Sounds like you need to get your own lawyer. If possible, contact the courthouse again, tell them the guys name %26amp; situation. It sounds like someone%26#039;s trying to scare you into paying them some $$



Is this legal?

I believe that you are right. It is a desperate collector trying to bullying into paying a debt you no longer have a legal obligation to pay.



You got a call from a debt collector disguised as a lawyer. Many lawyers %26quot;lend%26quot; their licenses to debt collectors for a fee. The debt collector then use the lawyer%26#039;s name in order to attempt to collect old and sometimes out of statute debts banking on your ignorance of collection law.



Next time you receive a call from this %26quot;lawyer%26quot; tell him not to contact you by phone anymore. Instead, tell him that he is required by law to mail you a letter explaining why he is calling you. The letter has to be sent within 5 business days.



Fire back with a debt %26quot;verification letter%26quot;. Include a paragraph stating that you are aware the the statute of limitation on this debt has expired. Send the letter by certified mail and keep a copy for your records.

No comments:

Post a Comment