Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dad died with few assets, help me Yahoo with details. Oklahoma?

First off, this comes from the State of Oklahoma. When my dad died he had $1300 in the bank which my sister withdrew since she was on the account, a custom truck, and a very small life insurance policy for me and my brother. I noticed he appears to have consolidated his credit card debt onto one card, about $7000 dollars. The will is missing and presumed stolen. My brother and I have signed away any right to the truck so my sister can have it since her husband did all the work to fix it up. That leaves the Life Insurance (still haven%26#039;t received), and the cash my sister withdrew which we used to finish paying off his prepaid funeral plan with and chipping in an additional $254.



Questions:



1) Are we liable for the credit card debt?,



2) Can anyone take the Life Insurance money ($7700)?



3) Do you think my sister will have any problems transferring the car out of his name and into hers?



4) Is there anything else we need to be aware of?



Dad died with few assets, help me Yahoo with details. Oklahoma?

The department of transportation should have the proper forms for your sister to obtain title.



The life insurance money will go to the benificary he specified when he started the policy. Check with the inusrance company to find out.



If the issue is handled through probate courts the judge will make sure all debts are satisfied before dividing up any remaing funds. So you may want to resolve any disputes within the family.



After my fathers death, I found out that children can not be held liable for debts the parents had. The companies may try to tell you otherwise, but they can not force you to pay. They can not garnish your wages or such.



Of the life insuance money, I would make sure your sister gets paid back the additional 250 she pitched in, after the money is divided.. (or agree to split the costs)



Its bad enough you lost a family member. Try not to alienate any living family members by being too greedy.



Dad died with few assets, help me Yahoo with details. Oklahoma?

very sorry about your loss. hang in there.



1. not if you didn%26#039;t sign for it. your dads estate pays for it. if he has no assets, then I guess they don%26#039;t get paid. the truck could be an asset they would want if it%26#039;s his and paid for. The credit card co may tell you that you must pay for it, but I don%26#039;t think it%26#039;s true. They would be lying.



2. I don%26#039;t think the life insurance would be an asset... since he left it to you guys I suppose? that money is for burying him.



4. long as your name isn%26#039;t on anything you are not personally liable for his bills.



more info at:



http://www.daveramsey.com



use the search feature. :)



Dad died with few assets, help me Yahoo with details. Oklahoma?

Hi,



I used %26quot;Credit Solution%26quot; to settle my debt and improve my credit score.They managed to reduce my debt up to 58% .It%26#039;s legitimate.I came across this company on NBC News.Check it out here:



http://elfurl.com/tbpbv

No comments:

Post a Comment