Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Air Force - Filling for bankrupcy before entering Active Duty?

I%26#039;m schedule to leave for active duty in March. However, I find myself buried in debt, mostly credit cards and some student loans. I%26#039;m thinking about filling for bankrupcy before I go into active duty. I would hate to waste most of my Air Force pay into my credit card debt. I take responsibility about my credit card debt, but, like many Americans and the rising cost of living, I ended up using them a lot.



My recruiter told me that the Air Force would paid my student loans, which is not that much.



Is this a good idea? Has anybody done this before entering active duty? Thanks for your suggestions.



Air Force - Filling for bankrupcy before entering Active Duty?

The moment they find out about an outstanding bankruptcy - you will be disqualified from enlisting due to outstanding legal issues.



The military will not accept you if you have any unresolved legal issues (this includes things as minor as a traffic ticket).



And - BTW you can kiss any job that requires a security clearance goodbye. You will not even be considered for a clearance until 3 years _after_ the bankruptcy is resolved.



Another issue is that you are going to file bankruptcy because you do not _want_ to pay your debt. This is going to look really bad if you ever want a clearance.



Air Force - Filling for bankrupcy before entering Active Duty?

It shouldn%26#039;t be a problem. Even if you need a secutiry clearance it should not be a problem unless it%26#039;s a Top Secret that you need.



Air Force - Filling for bankrupcy before entering Active Duty?

Unless you are getting a security clearance it shouldn%26#039;t be a problem. However I would ask your recruiter what he thinks because the military does run a credit check on you before they let you join. If you have already passed all your initial entry stuff and are just waiting for a ship date then I don%26#039;t see how if could hurt. Just stay away from credit cards when you get in the military then you could get into some serious trouble for defaulting on your loans. I%26#039;m not sure about the AF but I know of a few Marines who were sent to CCU (correctional custody unit) to break big rocks into little rocks for bouncing a check.



Air Force - Filling for bankrupcy before entering Active Duty?

a rikkle slaaaaaag!!!



Air Force - Filling for bankrupcy before entering Active Duty?

Are you going to file chapter 7 or 13? And depends what all you are going to be listing on. If you use it for a home you own etc. it doesn%26#039;t get discharge. You might want to ask your recruiter first.



The only thing I know for sure is you will not be able to get any job that requires a secret clearance or higher.



Air Force - Filling for bankrupcy before entering Active Duty?

The AF is not hurting for people at all right now (except in a few key career fields). We are in the process of a 40K person job cut.



I used to be a Security Manager about 2 years ago. You are going to have problems. The number one reason people tend to lose their clearance is financial irresponsibility. Bankruptcy would qualify as it is considered the mother of all financial no no%26#039;s. And for the record, you are not accepting responsibility for your credit card debt. Accepting responsibility would involve paying back what you owe.

No comments:

Post a Comment